Thursday, February 21, 2008

My favorite organ music part I


The finale (Tocatta)
From Widor's fifth symphony.
Almost every time you hear it, I can guarantee that it's played so fast that the pedal gets slurred and you don't hear the staccato. Why do Americans play it like a bat out of hell? I don't know.

Prelude in B minor, BWV 544.The first time I heard this was on a recording from the Flentrop at Yale. Also, I think it sounds best with a 32' reed in the pedal.


Prelude and fugue in E flat Major(St. Anne)This was on a CD that contained the first organ music I ever heard.

Fantasia and Fugue in G minor, BWV 542. Why two different recordings? Because I don't like Andre's interpretation of the fantasia, but I do love the fuge, and the notes on the screen that explain how a fugue is composed.


Choral in A minor, Cesar Franck. I want this played as the recession on corpus christi.

Nun Danket Alle Gott, S.K. Elert. Perfect for an ordination.

Tocatta, Suite Gothique. Leon Boelmann. I want to learn this so badly, alas, no sheet music. and no library card ether.

Finale form the Sixth symphony
, Louis Vierne.

Symphony No. six, first movement. C.M.Widor. Often played too slow by local organists

Prelude and Fugue in E minor,BWV 548 (The wedge fugue)

Fugue in C minor, BWV 537.

Adagio from the Toccata, Adagio, and Fugue in C major.- I'me surprised that so few organists I know of play this using some kind of flute as the solo. I use flute 4' with stopped diapason 8' for the solo, with stop diapasons and dulzian on the swell. Of course, bourdon 15' and violoncello 8' on the pedal, coupled to the swell. Not much, but I have limited stop choices (See post on the organ) This was also on the CD that I had.
That's all for today.

No comments: