Thursday, September 16, 2010

THE CHOIR.

Today, I did something a bit crazy, something I've wanted to do for a long while:

I joined the choir at Lourdes.

And it was great fun.
Without trying to spoil things, we practiced some pieces for the Philadelphia Red Mass, and some other things just for Lourdes that will be used eventually. In all, we went through: Bruckner's Locus Iste, The gloria form Haydn's Missa Brevis of S.John of God, and Pitoni's Cantate Domino. The latter I had trouble with, since I've heard it a grand total of Once, and although, thanks to years of practicing Gregorian Chant, I can sight-read quite well, the music and the text are quite hard to match up if it's taken at the right pace.

But oh well, it was good. And apparently, people think I have a nice voice. I can't see it. I always think my voice is a little too much in the throat, and not in the head enough. When I was at home, I went through scales and lines in hymns, and some choral pieces as a way to try to practice it out of that sound. It helped quite a bit, but not to my liking. Eventually, you guys (At least the ones near here) are going to be forced to tolerate, at least for the next choral season.

No comments: