Friday, June 11, 2010

The Most Sacred Heart of Jesus


One of my particular devotions is that of the Sacred Heart. Right now, I'm going through the well-written book Love, Peace and Joy. I'd link to it but I can't find it online. You can also read Fr.George Tickell's similar book, Month of the Sacred Heart. June of course, is the month specially devoted to devotion to the Sacred Heart.

Today is the feast of the Sacred Heart, and, like a few others, I'll be observing it with an octave.At least, sort of. See, formerly, like many other feasts in the kalendar, the feast of the Sacred Heart had an octave. It was suppressed, but in the modern Roman rite, there's enough leeway to sort of observe it. You can say a votive office of the Sacred heart (the office of the Sacred Heart as in the breviary, but with the collect for the votive mass as found in the Roman Missal) on ferias and on optional memorials until the 'octave day' next week.

Anyway, the above image is my favourite image of the Sacred Heart. Formerly, I had a print of the same image above my home altar, but it was destroyed in the unfortunate fire I had a few years ago.

No comments: