Friday, June 17, 2011

Okay, I've seen enough to form an opinion.

Please, please, for God's sake and that of your parish, if you are in any way in charge of music at a parish, please DO NOT buy the 4th edition of the worship hymnal. It's a step back. IT STINKS.

It's claimed to be a 'traditional' hymnal, but about 85-90% of the hymns in it are modern compositions. Many good ones have been expunged (Eg.,Hills of the North, Rejoice, Jesus, My Lord, My God, My all, Lift Up Your Heads, O Mighty Gates, Lord Christ, When First You Came to Earth, O for a Heart to Praise My God, O Gladsome Light, O Radiant LightSee amid the Winter’s Snow, Thy Strong Word Didst Cleave the Darkness, ‘Tis Good, Lord, to Be Here.) These are all gone now.The Loss of Jesus, My Lord, My God , My All is particularly depressing. It's quite a well loved hymn at Our Lady of Lourdes, It's one of the few that everyone seems to know by heart.

So yes, stick with Worship III, get yourself some new material for the new mass settings. (And, I'll repeat my call that the Adoremus and Worship III are meant to go together. Worship provides your material for The proper of time fine but is light on hymns for saints and Our Lady. Adoremus is big and beefy on solemnity, saints and festivals of Our lady, but rather light when it comes to the proper of time excepting Advent and Easter. Get them both and everyone will be happy.*)

No comments: