Saturday, October 23, 2010

Faith, Hope, and Charity.

I've been slowly reading the classic spiritual book This Tremendous Lover.
-Yeah I know, interesting title.

But it's wonderful.I haven't gotten very far, because honestly, I don't seem to have as much time for spiritual reading and reflection as I used to. But I'm slowly getting through it. Besides helping to show me how little I've gone down the path to spiritual perfection and showing me how terrible a sinner I am, the book has given me a lot of help that would do me some good if I could just put it into practice.

One thing that I've been trying is to simply, all day, try to keep in my mind those three words: Faith, Hope, and Charity. The three theological virtues. I'm hoping that if I do this, I can change my conduct between God and myself, and between myself and others more quickly. I'm hoping that I can use them to give myself an instant, unthinking evaluation of all my words, actions, and thoughts before I say,do, or think them. I need to know how such or such an action will show or fail to show faith and hope in God, and charity toward God and neighbor. It's a little practice, but I'll see how it goes.

No comments: