Wednesday, March 11, 2009

I have a confession to make.

All Saints, high Wycombe,Buckinghamshire, in red for Sundays after Pentecost, with riddels, hanging pyx, and Warham altar frontal.

I feel like I'm pretending about this, and I don't feel right hiding this any more. It's a part of me that I don;t talk about or express, but I should talk about it now.
I'm not really attracted to the more Roman than Roman style of liturgy. Nope, I don't think I've been for the past three years. I might have spent more than a few odd Sundays and holy days at St.Clem's, and I might own my own cotta, but if I could really have it my way, I mean Really go all out and do it my way, you know what I'd like?
English Use, or something similar thereof.
No fiddlebacks, or lacy cottas, or altars dwarfed by sugar-cookie marble reredoses with a Big Six.
Instead, nice real Gothic vestments.Not semi-gothic, but the real thing. Like Warham Guild or something. And apparelled albs and amices on servers and clergy. holy Rood Guild has some nice stuff too (Though certainly all overly expensive.) Definitely a rood, maybe a full rood screen. Riddle posts with curtains, proper sediliae, an Easter sepulchre , and maybe even a hanging Pyx are a must. And I'm sure that to some extent, you could fit it all into Roman ceremonial. And don't think that I have'nt read The Parson's handbook and tried to figure out a way.
But none of this is really possibe unless you have a place like St.Birinius', so it's all wishful thinking.
Gotta go to the store now!

No comments: