Thursday, May 20, 2010

As far as the mass setting goes,

You're all going to want to kill me in some violent yet comedic way, but after finishing it, I've begun re-writing it again. See, I struggled with the gloria because I wanted it to be in a style that I can;t put into words. Think the kyrie from Rheinberger's 'cantus firmus' mass, with some late polyphonic influences thrown in. I decided that I wanted it to be unaccompanied, so I had to add a second tenor line, and then I realised that the theme from the agnus dei really fit what I wanted the gloria to sound like .(Slow, walking pace, constantly moving and full of dynamics.) So now I've got to do that. People are going to say that the sanctus does'nt fit the mass. For two reasons. Firstly, the USCCB outlawed polyphonic/choral sanctuses, and secondly, it's in a minor key, it's short, and it's composed of chords with no independently sung lines.
But on a better note, I do already have four masses and three mass parts based on chants written. They use the glorious new translation of the Roman missal, and I'd like to get them published, but I'm far too poor to afford it.* They're called, and based on:

Mass of Our Lady of Mercy: Litanies of the blessed virgin/Antiphon Laeva eius.
Mass of S.Peter: Missa Pater cuncta
Mass of Redemption: Missa Lux et Origo
Mass in C major: Kyrie Deus Genitor alme,Sanctus II (Cantus ad libitum), Agnus Dei II (Cantus ad libitum) all from the Liber Usualis.
Credo in C: Mode 2 tone, Liber Usualis Pg. 777
Credo in G. : Invitatory tone, Liber Usualis Pg.765
Ambrosian Gloria: Gloria 'More Ambrosiano'

These are simple, congregational chant-based masses. Hopefully, I could see how they go with my own parish. No longer having a keyboard to use means that I only get one guaranteed chance a week to write my music.

*Avoids another rant on copyrights.

No comments: