Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Melodic Deth Metal.

A friend and I had a disagreement over it. See, he says it's not Real Metal. Real Metal, or Manly Metal is thrash metal. According to him, that is. I've moved past my ninth grade obsession with thrash metal, which can be exemplified by such stellar bands as Dragonforce.* Of course, once I started getting interested in classical music theory, thrash metal no longer cut it for me. I slowly realised that if you listen quite carefully, some bands actually do use some music theory in their compositions (Think middle-late Metallica, for example, or Black Sabbath's Children of the Sea, for a more specific example.) A good melodic riff has to be carefully written, not just 'hammered in'** kind of randomly. That's probably part of the reason I never developed an interest in pop music, but secretly kinda like metal before it even developed into an actual love of it. But I expect at least someone to come and call me a typical music snob and that I don't know what I'm talking about/reference the wrong band/doesn't know anything about writing guitar music, etc. etc, etc.

*Youtube a certain interveiw of theirs for a specific example.
** or "H-H-h-hamma it it", as Dragonforce put it. You should be noticing a pattern here.

No comments: