Saturday, May 16, 2009

Compline.At I Vespers.

Without saying the prayers before the office, immediately is said:

V. O God, come unto my assistance.
R.O lord,make haste to help me.
Glory be to the Father.

I confess to almighty God, and to you my brethren, that I have sinned exceedingly in thought, word and deed, in what I have done, and what I have omitted.Through my fault, through my own fault, through my own most grevious fault. Therefore, I beseec blessed Mary ever Virgin, all the angels and saints, and you my brethren, to pray for me to the Lord our God.

Hymn:

Before the ending of the day,
Creator of the world, we pray
That thou with wonted love wouldst keep
Thy watch around us while we sleep.

O let no evil dreams be near,
Nor phantoms of the night appear;
Our ghostly enemy restrain,
Lest ought of sin our bodies stain..

All praise be thine, O risen Lord,
From death to endless life restored;
Whom with the Father we adore,
And Holy Ghost, for evermore. Amen.

Ant.I: Have mercy upon me,  and hearken unto my prayer.

Psalm 4

He hath heard me when I call, the God of my righteousness: * thou hast set me at liberty when I was in trouble.
 Have mercy upon me, * and hearken unto my prayer.
 O ye sons of men, how long will ye be dull of heart? * and have such pleasure in vanity, and seek after leasing?
 Know this also, that the Lord hath chosen to himself the man that is godly; * when I call upon the Lord he will hear me.
 Be ye angry, and sin not; * the things that ye say in your hearts, repent ye them upon your beds.
 Offer the sacrifice of righteousness, and put your trust in the Lord, * there be many that say, who will shew us any good?
The light of thy countenance, O Lord, is sealed upon us, * thou hast put gladness in my heart.
By the fruit of their corn and wine and oil * have they been multiplied.
I will lay me down in peace, * and take my rest; 
 For it is thou, Lord, only, * that makest me dwell in safety.

Ant.I: Have mercy upon me, and hearken unto my prayer.

Ant.II: Lift up your hands by night in the sanctuary, and bless ye the Lord.

Psalm 133

Behold now, bless the Lord, * all ye servants of the Lord;
Ye that stand in the house of the Lord, * even in the courts of the house of our God.
Lift up your hands by night in the sanctuary, * and bless ye the Lord.
The Lord that made heaven and earth * give thee blessing out of Sion.

Ant.II: Lift up your hands by night in the sanctuary,  and bless ye the Lord.

Capter: Deut.6:4-7

Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God is one Lord. Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole strength.  And these words which I command thee this day, shall be in thy heart: And thou shalt tell them to thy children, and thou shalt meditate upon them sitting in thy house, and walking on thy journey, sleeping and rising.

Resp.
R.Into thy hands, O lord, I commend my spirit.  
V.Into thy hands, O lord, I commend my spirit.  
R. For thou hast redeemed us, O Lord, thou God of truth.
V.I commend my spirit.  
R.Glory be.
V.Into thy hands, O lord, I commend my spirit.  

Ant. Save us, O Lord, waking, guard us sleeping, that awake we may watch with Christ, and asleep we may rest in peace.

Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, * according to thy word.
For mine eyes have seen * thy salvation,
 Which thou hast prepared * before the face of all people;
To be a light to lighten the Gentiles, * and to be the glory of thy people Israel.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, * and to the Holy Ghost.
As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, * world without end. Amen.
Ant. Save us, O Lord, waking, guard us sleeping, that awake we may watch with Christ, and asleep we may rest in peace.

Collect:

Visit, we beseech thee, O Lord, this habitation, and drive far from it all the snares of the enemy: let thy holy Angels dwell herein, to preserve us in peace; and may thy blessing be upon us evermore. Through Jesus Christ, thy Son our Lord. Who liveth and reigneth with thee, in the unity of the Holy Ghost, ever one God, world without end. Amen.

Blessing.

May the Lord Almighty and merciful vouchsafe to bless us and keep us, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.Amen.

Then an antiphon in honour of the blessed Virgin is sung.

No comments: