Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Divine office.

One of my lenten exercises is something that isn't really of great importance , but something that I really needed to do. I'm trying my best to say the offices more reverently, with attention and devotion. I realised that I was doing wrong a while ago when I noticed that I could recite lauds and vespers in 15 minutes, when it used to take me 30. Part of it is simple familiarity: I did'nt know much latin at all, and even if I was familiar with the form of the office, I had to say things slowly to make sure that I was saying the right words.Even now, I'm constantly finding that I've been pronouncing a word wrong by stressing the wrong syllable. But eventually,within a few months after I got used to the psalter, I think I just started reciting the office without taking time not just to reflect on it, but even so far as to ignore the pauses and half-pauses in the psalms and preces.

I've tried to do things better now. I've given myself a set time for the lenght of the pauses in the office, to make sure that I don't just rush through things. I've also given myself a set beat for the recitation of the hymnsand I'm using the pauses and half-pauses printed with the psalms,preces, and responsories. More importantly, I'm trying to resist the temptation to recite the words of the psalm quickly as usual,but still use the pauses.

No comments: