Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Passiontide veils.

Passiontide begins this Saturday evening. Somehow, my veils from last year are gone so I've got to make more. It's not very hard to make them. I buy some purple du-rags from one of the many haircare shops on 60th street, cut them in half and hem them, and for the statues, I cut off the corners and make them round.That's it. I have to pay attention to the brand though, because most brands are pretty thin, and one can see through them a bit. In that case, I have to double them. Now I need to find something for a red veil for Palm Sunday and a white veil for Holy Thursday's vespers. I'm not sure what to do for Good Friday.Do I go old-school and get a black veil? Do I do what modern Catholics do and use a red veil? Do I use the old standby and stay with the violet veil?
Gah, there's too many options, and I don't have a local custom yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

on Good Friday the crucifix should be uncovered....

J.Samuel Ross. said...

I though crosses stayed veiled until after the mass of the presanctified? I as of yet don't have a clear answer on when to unveil crosses besides the cross used for the Veneration of the Cross.(Such as crosses in side chapels, etc.)